Sunday 22 November 2009

William Hutchon - Continuity Task Planning

Main plot summary

When a woman loses her job and her family is facing eviction from their home, rather than sharing this with her husband she commits suicide and the father is left to raise two alienated children on his own. Scene summary In this scene, the father breaks the news to his kids the son first, and then the daughter that they won’t be seeing their mother again.

Short Scene Summary

A man has to come home and tell his son and daughter that their mother has taken their own life.



Script


(Father enters)

Father:
Listen Jimmy, sit down. (Both sit)



Father: It’s about your mother. We won’t be seeing her again, for - well hopefully no time too soon. Now I know you’re only a young lad, so I don’t expect for one moment you to understand the reasons why she did what she did, damn it I don’t even know why. All I know is, she’s gone now, so it’s just us.


(Reach out and touch hand, cut to holding daughters hand)



Lucy: (Look confused and upset)



Father: I’m sorry.




Character Description

Barry: The father, working a 9 to 10 job on minimum wage to feed his children, when he gets home from work he has no time to deal with finances, so his wife deals with that financial side of things. So when money issues arise he oblivious to them until it’s too late.

Jimmy: The son, he is 15 years old. With both parents never at home he takes to the streets and slowly gets sucked into gang culture. This leaves him rather distant and alienated from his parents.



Lucy: The daughter, she is 13. She too has mixed with the wrong social group and has been introduced to drugs and alcohol at a very young age. With her parents never around, they don’t realise that their child is on a slow but sure path to self destruction. When she falls pregnant and the father bails, she keeps this secret from her parents also; her mother dies ignorant to the fact that she was a grandmother.


Prop List For my short scene, the props I will need will include;

Kitchen table
Kitchen table chairs
Newspapers
Table cloth
Drinking glasses and water

I will supply the above props myself Setting List and Description The scene is set in the kitchen of a house in Somerset. The kitchen has an old chequered table cloth draped over the dining table. There are old news papers on the table. The match on action only leads onto a scene shot in the same place, but with a different person so there is no need for a second setting.


Storyboards






Shoot Schedule


Outside House,
o long shot of person walking towards the door.3 Seconds
o Cut to close up of hand opening door. 1-2 Seconds

Dining Room.
o Cut to long shot of character crossing room to establish setting. 3 seconds
o Cut to mid shot of sitting down at the table. 3 seconds
o Cut to close up of characters talking. 30 seconds or so of dialogue
o Cut between characters for dialogue. 30 seconds or so of dialogue.


Reflection on filming process


  • What went well?

When recording the video I had to restart my entire project 3 times, however unpeturbed by this the final recording was much easier and flowed better as I knew exactly how to get everyshot I needed.


  • What did not go so well?

The first two recordings did not go so well, the reliability of actors was poor. On the second occasion of filming the entire video was scrapped due to a technical fault meaning the sound was not there.


  • What happened that you did not expect?

Weather conditions where unpredicatable and heavy rainfall delayed recording by up to 2 hours and meant we where recording at half past 12 at night. One of the actors stormed off half way through the first load of footage which voided the tape.


  • As a result of this excercise, what will you be sure to do when you film your thriller?

- I will be sure to check all equipment is working to a usable standard.

- I will start recording at an earlier time giving me more time to alter the scenes and manipulate camera positions.

- I will not shout at people next time.

- I will take time to arrange a suitable place to record.

- I will make sure I have enough people to occupy each role that is needed, i.e sound, lighting, acting ect. So as not to rush and compromise the quality of the video.



Preliminary Video Editing


Here is a screen shot of me editing my video for the final cut.



Final Video






This is my final cut of my video after editing.



Preliminary Task Feedback



*************************************************************************************************


* The purpose of this section is to show the various stages of planning involved in creating our preliminary video.

No comments:

Post a Comment